eye tests are important:
- Eyesight is precious – once lost it may be irreplaceable
- Examining a patients eyes can identify
clinical conditions such as diabetes and give an indication of a
person’s general health
- Serious eye conditions such as glaucoma can be detected
- Unlike many other conditions eyes do not always hurt when there is something wrong with them
- The earlier a problem is detected the greater the chance of successful treatment
- A person’s vision can vary and regular eye
examinations ensure that the patient has the best possible vision
through the use of glasses and contact lenses
tests generally should be carried out every two years. Certain patient
categories should have their eyes examined annually:
- Family History of Glaucoma
- Over 60
- Under 16
|Any patient having pain or problems with their vision should have their eyes examined immediately.|
After the eye examination the Optician has to
determine the patient’s level of vision and record this as a
prescription. This prescription is the property of the patient.
By obtaining a copy of the prescription the
patient is free to “shop around “ to find the best value for money when
Some people still find it uncomfortable
asking for their prescription from their Optician even though by law it
should be handed over to them after the eye examination.
At Specsdirect2u we have recently opened our new
practice in Duke Street Glasgow (in addition to
our practices in Cambuslang, Tollcross, Kinlochleven,
Mallaig Village Pharmacy and Fort William) specifically
to deal with this issue. We are happy to carry
out the eye test in the knowledge that our prices
are so competitive that patients will want to
obtain their glasses from us.
If you feel uncomfortable requesting
your prescription please pay us a visit and we
will examine your eyes in one of our branches
at Cambuslang, Duke Street, Tollcross, Kinlochleven,
Mallaig Village Pharmacy or Fort William.
At specsdirect2U we know that some of our patients cannot visit their Optician in the practice.
As a result we have a service called the HOME EYE TEST SERVICE.
This service consists of a full eye examination in the comfort of the patient’s home. It includes:
Finally if glasses are required we can show the patient a wide range of over 100 frames to choose from.
- Refraction - the patients prescription is determined using our lens box and a torch like retinoscope.
- Ophthalmoscopy- a torch like instrument is used to look at the health of the back of the eye
- Tonometry- a small puff of air is directed on
to your cornea to measure the pressure of the eye (this allows
detection of a condition known as glaucoma)
We will arrange for the glasses to be made up as
quickly as possible. In addition once the glasses are made we will
arrange a second appointment to ensure they are fitted correctly to
ensure maximum comfort and patient satisfaction.